Immanuel Evangelical Church originated in the 1890’s when a handful of people met in homes for worship. The group acquired a school house for worship and confirmed their fist class of young people on Palm Sunday, March 26th, 1899. This small group of Evangelical Christians built and dedicated their first church in 1900. Unfortunately they only worshipped in it a few times before it was destroyed by the 1900 storm. A new constitution was adopted and signed with the foresight to move the congregation to the town of Needville proper. The small church was built on grounds donated by the August Schendel family in 1902.
In 1909 the congregation acquired 10 acres of land for $250.00. The land was sold in lots and the money put into a building fund. By 1917 membership had grown rapidly and there was a need for a larger building. A new sanctuary was to be built as soon as there were enough funds. On August 10th, 1924 a new and larger sanctuary was dedicated and completely paid for at a cost of $11,400.00. In 1927 the congregation purchased four acres for a church cemetery.
On July 25th, 1934 the GERMAN EMMANUEL EVANGELICAL CHURCH joined with the group called the REFORMED CHURCH OF AMERICA to form THE EMMANUEL EVANGELICAL AND REFORMED CHURCH.
Under the guidance of Reverend William Scholze, an educational building was completed and dedicated in the fall of 1940. In the next four years the membership increased by 200 individuals and the largest confirmation class, 32 young people were confirmed on Reformation Sunday, November 3, 1940.
It was under the leadership of Reverend Ed H. Weltge (1958-1969) that the church began its first pew communion.
In 1957 the Evangelical and Reformed Church and the Congregational Christian Churches merged and the result was the establishment of the United Church of Christ. In 1960, at an official meeting of the Texas Synod, Immanuel officially became a member of the United Church of Christ and adopted its new name.
Over the years Immanuel has been blessed with many special events and activities:
1971 – First Confirmation Reunion, a practice which continues today.
1982 – Chartered Cub Pack 129
1987 – Proclaimed Senior Citizen site
1990 – Moment for the young and Prefect attendance awards.
1992 – Youth club established
Other activities include: Easter Egg Hunt, Graduation Recognition, Music Camp, Swim Party, Slumber Falls Church Camp, Rally Day, Community Vacation Bible School; Christmas Program and others continue to be added.
After celebrating over 100 years as a congregation, Immanuel began the year 2000 by acting in faith. In April of that year the old Educational Building was moved off the church property and given to Grace Community Fellowship Church. During the period that Immanuel’s new education building was being built, sister congregations such as St. Michael’s Catholic Church and St. Paul’s Presbyterian Church offered their facilities for Sunday School and other activities.
Ministerial leadership has changed over the years and every one of them has made Immanuel a wonderful place to worship and continues to do so. In addition to our past ministries we have added a Summer Mission Trip, increased our giving to missions and continue being a leader in our denomination and community. Children and our youth remain a priority, and visitors are amazed at the vibrant visuality of our youth.
In Spring of 2016 “Immanuel United Church Of Christ” decided to leave the UCC and become a part of the Evangelical Association (EA) and have since changed our name to “Immanuel Evangelical Church”
The future looks bright – and always will be if we continue to be true to our name:
IMMANUEL – ‘GOD WITH US’